Community

Discovery Concerts

DSCN0392Elizabeth G. Schneider Discovery Concerts, held during the school day, engage young minds through exciting full-orchestra performances. These morning performances by the Richmond Symphony correlate with Virginia Standards of Learning. Both Discovery programs presented in the 2018/19 Season will be exploring the elements of music and improving students’ listening skills.  Participating schools receive student listening guides, a teacher guide and concert repertoire in advance of the performance. Concerts serve city, county, private and home-schooled students.

• Tickets are $6 (general admission)
  • One free chaperone ticket with 10 paid student tickets
  • Two age-appropriate Discovery Concert formats in 2018-19
  • Tickets are $4 for Title 1 schools
  • Download Registration Form for school groups
  • Download Registration Form for Homeschool groups

The Richmond Symphony offers two age-appropriate Discovery Concerts:

Richmond Symphony “Top Ten”

Ages For grades 3-8
Dates & Times October 24, 2018 @ 10:30am
October 25th and 26th, 2018 @ 9:45 and 11:30am
Location Carpenter Theatre
Details This 50-minute performance will introduce listeners to the “classics” of orchestral music. The concert repertoire, curated with the help of RSO musicians and local music educators, features the works of art that every child should have the opportunity to hear. Featured composers include Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Copland, Rossini and more!

The Story of Babar, the Little Elephant

Ages For younger students: preK-grade 3
Dates & Times February 28th, 2019 @ 10:30am
March 1st, 2019 @ 9:45 and 11:30am
Location Carpenter Theatre
Details

For very young listeners, this 40-minute concert serves as an introduction to the orchestra and families of instruments. We will welcome Michael Boudewyns from Really Inventive Stuff back to the stage as he shares The Story of Babar, the Little Elephant, beautifully set to the music of Francis Poulenc

(Inclement weather date for Feb. 28th performance: April 9 at 11:30. Inclement weather date for March 1st performance: April 10th at 9:45 and 11:30)

Kind Words:

“You helped me meet and achieve MY goals, as in MUSIC SOLs, but if I had been unable to align with “general” classroom SOL’s, my application for the field trip would have been turned down.” –Discovery teacher