NEW STUDENT & ADVANCEMENT AUDITIONS
We are hosting virtual auditions on June 2 and June 9 for the upcoming season. Detailed description of audition process and audition links below:
2020-21 audition excerpts are now posted on our Audition Requirements page.
Announcing the Richmond Symphony Youth Orchestra Program’s first ever Virtual Auditions!
While social distancing procedures are in place, the RSYOP is eager to secure our student body for the 2020-21 academic year. Rather than holding in-person auditions, we invite students to audition for our ensembles using virtual platforms. Prepared pieces (including excerpts and solos) will be submitted as a recording while scales and sight-reading will be played live over Zoom. Please read through the detailed process below, which is embedded with all the links you will need to sign up for an audition and submit the proper info. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
PERCUSSIONISTS, please note: We are aware that you may not have the instruments needed to practice and audition from home. If you do have the proper equipment, you are welcome to audition virtually. If not, we will open up a live audition for you as soon as we are able.
BASSISTS: please note: We have updated the YCO bass scale requirements to more closely reflect what we expect from our YCO bass students. Minor scales have been updated and all scales are only required in 2 octaves.
- View the audition materials on the RSYOP Audition Info Page and determine the ensemble for which you would like to audition.
- Sign up for an audition time to play scales & sight reading through a live Zoom call. Conductors will be present to call scales and will provide sight reading through a shared screen. Deadline for audition sign-up is Monday, June 1st.
- Read through the recording guidelines and determine which platform you will use to submit your prepared pieces. Options include:
- YouTube – upload your video to YouTube and select “Unlisted Link, only those with the link can view”
- Google Drive – upload your video to your Google Drive, select privacy settings to be “Anyone with the link can view”, copy the link to your video.
- As a last resort, email your video to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DEADLINE UPDATE: Submit your prepared pieces by entering your video link in this Google Form. Deadline for prepared pieces is end-of-day Monday, June 8th. (note: Students auditioning on June 2nd may now submit their recorded audition links by end-of-day June 8.)
- Fill out and submit the Student Info Sheet Google Form.
- On the day of your audition, log into Zoom 15 minutes prior to your designated time. You will receive your link via email prior to your audition. You will be let into the audition room when it is your turn to play.
Can I audition for more than one ensemble? We only allow students to audition for one ensemble. However you may qualify for another ensemble based on your auditions. We highly recommend that you consult with your private teacher or band/orchestra directly to help determine the ensemble for which you should audition.
If I am not accepted into my desired ensemble, can I qualify for another? Yes! If a student is not recommended for the ensemble for which they auditioned, they will very likely receive one of the following recommendations:
Re-Audition for the same ensemble later in the summer
Accepted in a lower ensemble (possibly on the waitlist for the higher ensemble)
Re-Audition for a lower ensemble later in the summer
Is financial aid offered for tuition? Yes! We want every student with the desire to challenge themselves to participate in the Youth Orchestra Program, regardless of their ability to pay. Parents interested in applying for financial aid can do so by filling out the financial aid application, which will be available after audition results are released.
When will audition results be released? Audition results will be sent by email and will be released in mid to late July.
What happens if social distancing is in place in the fall? We will continue to follow CDC guidelines and Governor Northam’s policies as they relate to COVID-19. We are eager to build a student roster so that we are poised to begin as soon as it is safe to do so. We will not collect any tuition fees until we know when we will be able to begin rehearsals.
Items to note before registering to audition:
- Placement for the 2020-21 season is made after the spring auditions. We strongly encourage new students, especially those on competitive instruments (violin, cello, flute, etc.) to audition in May/June. Auditions will be held to fill vacancies in the ensembles and are only open to new students.
- Review the audition requirements and select an ensemble to audition for before completing the application.
- Students interested in joining String Sinfonietta or Wind Ensemble in the fall, no audition required, please complete the inquiry form to receive registration information in late July/early August 2020.
Current YOP Students: Advancement auditions will take place in June only. Current YOP students (enrolled in 19-20 season) are not eligible to audition during Fall New Student Auditions.