We will be announcing our August New Student Audition date soon.
2021 – 22 Audition Requirements
Richmond Symphony Youth Orchestra Program Virtual Auditions
Rather than holding in-person auditions, we invite students to audition for our ensembles using virtual platforms. Prepared pieces (including excerpts and solos) will be submitted as a recording while scales and sight-reading will be played live over Zoom. Please read through the detailed process below, which is embedded with all the links you will need to sign up for an audition and submit the proper info. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
PERCUSSIONISTS, please note: We are aware that you may not have the instruments needed to practice and audition from home. If you do have the proper equipment, you are welcome to audition virtually. If not, we will open up a live audition for you as soon as we are able.
- View the audition materials on the RSYOP Audition Info Page and determine the ensemble for which you would like to audition.
- Sign up for an audition time to play scales & sight reading through a live Zoom call. Conductors will be present to call scales and will provide sight reading through a shared screen. Deadline for audition sign-up the Friday before your chosen audition date.
- Read our Recording Tips/Help if you have any questions about your recording setup.
- Read through the recording guidelines and determine which platform you will use to submit your prepared pieces. Options include:
- YouTube – upload your video to YouTube and select “Unlisted Link, only those with the link can view”
- Google Drive – upload your video to your Google Drive, select privacy settings to be “Anyone with the link can view”, copy the link to your video.
- As a last resort, email your video to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit your prepared pieces by entering your video link in ourRecorded Audition Submission Form.
Deadline for prepared pieces is end-of-day on the Friday prior to your audition date.
- Fill out and submit the Student Info Google Form
- On the day of your audition, log into Zoom 15 minutes prior to your designated time. You will receive your link via email prior to your audition. You will be let into the audition room when it is your turn to play.
Can I audition for more than one ensemble? We only allow students to audition for one ensemble. However you may qualify for another ensemble based on your auditions. We highly recommend that you consult with your private teacher or band/orchestra directly to help determine the ensemble for which you should audition.
If I am not accepted into my desired ensemble, can I qualify for another? Yes! If a student is not recommended for the ensemble for which they auditioned, they will very likely receive one of the following recommendations:
- Waitlisted to that ensemble
- Recommended to a Lower Ensemble
Is financial aid offered for tuition? Yes! We want every student with the desire to participate in the Youth Orchestra Program, regardless of their ability to pay. Parents interested in applying for financial aid can do so by filling out the financial aid application, which will be available after audition results are released.
When will audition results be released? Audition results will be sent by email in early July.
What will YOP look like this fall? We will continue to follow CDC guidelines and Governor Northam’s policies as they relate to COVID-19. We are eager to build a student roster so that we are poised to begin as soon as it is safe to do so.
Items to note before registering to audition:
- August auditions will be held to fill vacancies in the ensembles and are only open to new students.
- Review the audition requirements and select an ensemble to audition for before completing the application.
- Students interested in joining String Sinfonietta or Wind Ensemble in the fall should submit an inquiry form to receive information about joining.
Current YOP Students: Advancement auditions will take place in May/June only. Current YOP students (enrolled in 20-21 season) are not eligible to audition during Mid Year New Student Auditions.