Richmond Symphony League’s 51st Annual Student Concerto Competition
Since 1969, the Richmond Symphony League has hosted this student concerto competition to encourage and recognize young musicians from Virginia. The first-prize winner will receive a cash award and be considered for an invitation to perform with the Richmond Symphony during the 2021-22 season. The competition is open to classically-trained instrumental music students from Virginia who have not graduated from high school who play woodwind, brass, string, piano, and percussion instruments. *For the 2022 Competition only: Students who graduated from high school in 2021 and would have been eligible for the (canceled) 2021 Competition are also eligible.
The RSL Competition has been postponed. We are looking for a date this spring and hope to announce updates soon.
Grand Prize Winner will receive $500 and be considered for an invitation to perform with the Richmond Symphony during the 2021/22 season.
Runner-up Prize Winner will receive $250 and be considered for an invitation to perform for a Richmond Symphony League event.
Student instrumentalists who have not yet graduated from high school and reside in the Commonwealth of Virginia are eligible.
*For the 2022 Competition only: Students who graduated from high school in 2021 and would have been eligible for the (canceled) 2021 Competition are also eligible.
Participation is limited to the first 40 applicants with completed applications and approved repertoire.
Contestants may only apply to compete with a single selection on one instrument.
Each contestant must perform a concerto movement of standard classical repertoire. The final performance of the winner’s piece may not exceed ten (10) minutes duration.
Each contestant’s repertoire selection must be approved by Richmond Symphony Education Staff.
Contestants whose selection exceeds ten (10) minutes during the competition will not be permitted to continue, and each contestant’s stage time allotment will be limited to a total of eleven (11) minutes.
• Contestants must perform their approved concerto movement selection from memory.
• Contestants must provide their own accompanists and three (3) physical copies of complete scores of their selections, indicating cuts if necessary.
• Grand Prize Winner must be available for rehearsals and/or performances on May 4, 5, 6 & 7, 2022.
• All applicants’ parent(s) or guardian(s) must sign a media waiver.
• All applicants must provide their own instruments for audition and performance (except pianists).
All contestants will compete before a panel of judges in a single round on January 8, 2022.
To be determined.
HOW TO ENTER
1. Complete and submit the online registration form including $25 application fee. All fields in the registration form must be complete and accurate. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Registration will open on September 13, 2021 and close on November 19, 2021.
2. A confirmation email will be sent to you, including approval of your concerto movement selection, media waiver, and a PDF to be printed and signed by both your instructor and parent/guardian.
3. Mail instructor and parent or guardian signatures, three (3) copies of score, media waiver, performance resume, and headshot to:
Attn: Symphony League Concerto Competition
612 East Grace St., Suite 401
Richmond, Virginia 23219
This year’s Richmond Symphony League Concerto Competition will be limited to no more than 40 contestants. After 40 complete qualifying applications are received, no more submissions will be accepted. For the best possibility of ensuring your acceptance to the competition, complete your application as early as possible.
Completed forms must include:
• Form signed by both instructor and parent/guardian.
• Signed media waiver from parent/guardian.
• Name and contact information for contestant’s accompanist.
• Three unmarked (except for cuts) and legible physical copies of piano score (solo part and piano). If cuts will be performed, they must also be indicated.
• Competition/performance resume
We will accept submissions until the designated deadline or until all 40 audition slots have been filled.
FOR FURTHER INQUIRIES
Please contact the Richmond Symphony Education department by email: firstname.lastname@example.org