Event Information« View All Events
- Date Saturday, September 12, 2020
- Time 3:00 pm
- Venue Maymont
Click HERE to donate to support music and art programs in Richmond Public Schools’ 5th District.
Click HERE to view the schedule of performances.
The Richmond Symphony and Maymont are collaborating to present a Big Tent community festival on Saturday, September 12, 3-7:30 pm, on the spacious and picturesque Carriage House Lawn at Maymont. The event, African American Voices, will highlight inspirational music of Black composers and poignant living history portrayals of African American staff at Maymont, 1893-1925. Proceeds from the Big Tent festival support music and art in Richmond Public School’s 5th District. The beauty of the outdoor parkland at Maymont combined with amazing live music and art make this a must-see experience.
LOCATION: Maymont, 1700 Hampton St, Richmond, VA 23220
Please enter Maymont through the Historic Estate Entrance (1700 Hampton Street). Guests can park at the Historic Estate Entrance (1700 Hampton Street), The Robins Nature Center (2201 Shields Lake Drive) or street parking where available.
FESTIVAL DATE & TIME: September 12, 2020 // 3 – 8:00 pm. Gates open at 2pm.
COST: Free, but pre-registration is required.
PROGRAMMING: LaQuinn, Dose of Poetry, Cora Harvey Armstrong, Sam McCoig, Jouwala Collective, and your Richmond Symphony performing with actors from Maymont. CLICK HERE to see the schedule of performances.
COVID-19 RESPONSE: Live music and art, a sense of community, and enjoyment are valuable commodities in our current situation. We desire to bring this opportunity to the community responsibly and therefore ask everyone to participate in the following precautions:
- Tickets must be reserved for everyone attending, including infants.
- Patrons are seated with their pod/family group within painted areas in the grass with 6′ spacing between pods. You may bring chairs and/or a blanket. Respect the space of others.
- Masks are required at all times outside of your designated pod on the grass.
- Food trucks and beer will be available and orders/payments may be made online for contactless purchase or you can pay in cash. Food and beverages may only be consumed at your designated pod.
- Guests will be allowed to bring 1 unopened bottle of water and 1 clear gallon size Ziploc bag of food. Coolers that must be carried or wheeled will be prohibited.
BEFORE YOU VISIT:
Please review the following checklist with all members of your party on the day of your visit. If you or any member of your group shows any of the following symptoms, please let us know so your tickets can be released.
- Feeling feverish or having an elevated measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.4◦ F
- Having had any close contact with a person who is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- A new or worsening cough that cannot be attributed to another health condition
- A new sore throat that cannot be attributed to another health condition
- New chills that cannot be attributed to another health condition
- New shortness of breath that cannot be attributed to another health condition
- New muscle aches that cannot be attributed to another health condition or specific activity
To limit exposure, non-food vendors and the kids zone will not be included at this festival.
DONATE: While this is a free community event, please consider making a personal or corporate donation. Proceeds from this event will support Richmond Public School music and art programs in the 5th District! Donate here.
VOLUNTEERS: Event volunteers are needed to assist with gate check and beer pouring (a fundraiser). Volunteers will need to meet strict health and safety protocols. Sign up to volunteer here.
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-788-4717 x141
Rain date is Sunday, September 13th.
The Maymont Big Tent Festival is sponsored by Weinstein Properties and the City of Richmond and is supported in part by an award from the National Endowment for the Arts.