Event Information« View All Events
- Date Sunday, March 8, 2020
- Time 3:00 pm
- Venue Carpenter Theatre
- Conductor & Music Director Candidate Valentina Peleggi
- Guest Artist Angela Cheng, Piano
- ROSSINI Overture to La gazza ladra (The Thieving Magpie)
- TCHAIKOVSKY Francesca da Rimini, Opus 32
- JOAN TOWER Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman, No. 2
- C. SCHUMANN Piano Concerto in A Minor, Opus 7
- RESPIGHI Pines of Rome
Discover Music Director Candidate Valentina Peleggi as she leads the Richmond Symphony in a program giving a nod to her Italian heritage, including Rossini’s overture to the opera La gazza ladra (The Thieving Magpie); Respighi’s beloved Pines of Rome, inspired by the Roman landscape; and Tchaikovsky’s Francesca da Rimini, Opus 32, a tone poem based on Dante’s Inferno. The program also celebrates women in music, with Clara Schumann’s Piano Concerto in A Minor, Opus 7, performed by pianist Angela Cheng, and Joan Tower’s Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman, No. 2, dedicated to Aaron Copland and “to women who take risks and are adventurous.”
Join us for a free pre-concert talk for all at 2pm.
Learn more about Valentina Peleggi, Conductor.