Event Information« View All Events
- Date Sunday, November 12, 2023
- Time 3:00 pm
- Venue Carpenter Theatre
- Conductor Valentina Peleggi
- Conductor* Chia-Hsuan Lin
- Piano Lara Downes
- Richmond Symphony Chorus .
- Dawson Negro Folk Symphony
- Adolphus Hailstork Piano Concerto (world premiere)
- Roxanna Panufnik Across the Line of Dreams
In 1934, William Dawson imagined a symphony that would fuse African rhythms and American laments into the symphonic form. What Dvořák’s “New World” Symphony promised, Dawson delivered. His defiant, triumphant “Negro Folk Symphony” is the greatest symphony you’ve never heard, premiered by no less than Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra to thunderous acclaim. Also, the world premiere of Adolphus Hailstork’s 2nd Piano Concerto “The Peaceable Kingdom”, written for Lara Downes. And Chia-Hsuan Lin joins Valentina Peleggi for a two-conductor meditation by Roxanna Panufnik.